Saturday, October 3, 2015

a painting of a gorgeous Chinese women

This is a  painting of a gorgeous Chinese women that I found online. She looks elegant with her hair done beautifully, her makeup, her jewelry, and the accessories on her hair. The white dress that she is wearing makes her look fancy. To me the painting is representational. It depicts a women of higher class and it looks stylized maybe realistic. I'm not sure. The women looks young and her gaze it towards the right. The artist made her look realistic due to the color of her skin and her facial features. Like the eyebrows and her lips. However it can be stylized because of this idea that high class women would wear expensive clothes and jewelry, and they would have their hair done in the most fancy way. To me there is something interesting about her eyes that lured me in. I don't know, maybe it is because when I see someone I notice their eyes first. You can tell a lot just by looking at them.
"Men act and women appear. Men watch women. Women watch themselves being looked at." said by John Berger. I feel that this quote applies to this painting because men are looking at this woman in the painting. They stare as she walks by, taking in her beauty. Maybe these men can't help but think "Man, what a lady. I wish I was the man marrying her." or something between those lines. Her on the other hand can feel that she has to dress like that in order to get the attention of men. Women often feel that they need to change who they are in order to please someone else's idea of what a women should be. I'm not sure on how she truly feels. However not all women do that. Some are comfortable in their skin, and that's great. I mean, who needs a man right? Hahaha. Anyways, I think she pretty and I love the painting. I'm not sure who the artist is because I found it on Google.

1 comment:

  1. Suleymy- I'm glad you got the posting process worked out! You are making some good observations on the style of the figure- representational and also stylized, so good job there! And I think you are so close to fully articulating your ideas about how this example connects to the reading-you picked a quote that could apply well- what other points could you make about this figure/ and her gesture as being "looked at"?
    Also, please use Museum sites listed for our course and give the name of the artist.

    ReplyDelete