Monday, October 26, 2015

blog post 5&6 A taste of home


Title:A taste of home
Artist:unknown
Date: Unknown
Geography/Culture:Mexico
Medium:glass,leather, and soldering iron
Dimensions:H.9"x L.3"x W. 2 3/4"
Source: Gift to my father from my grandfather

At first I didn't know what I had in my home that would be passable to be in a museum. Surely it's not older or from an important era nor person. I didn't make this bottle but the object in my perspective gives a deeper meaning. What I have put in display is a glass bottle covered in leather along with soldering iron burned onto it is from the city my father was raised in, Mexico. I decided to name this object A taste of home  .  I recall  at a young age when it was my first time visiting Mexico at the time when I was soon to go back to the U.S.  My father, sister, and I were in a shop watching a woman quickly design the bottle. Personally it was interesting watching how quickly she designed it as well how each bottle had a different design that she had in display. This bottle is for storing in tequila, its a strong alcoholic drink that is well known from Mexico. It was a gift my grandfather gave to my father as a fare well gift since he came back after years along with grandchildren. Looking at the bottle reminds me of a time in childhood when I first went out of U.S territory as well the time I've spent with the family from my fathers side as to sight see.

The older an object may be as well from a different nation it obtains a higher value, objects that are irreplaceable. In Europe, there are museums that contain priceless original lines of different craft, guarded with care, visited by careful tourists and small number of special students (John Cotton Dana: Summaries/Selections from The Gloom of the Museum,1917-Why Museum Building are Temples and Palaces) Museums should have pieces to be admired which what a museum should be. John Cotton Dana says, "Art museum objects were not chosen for their beauty or for their help they might give in developing good taste in the community, but for their rarity, their likeliness to objects found in European  museums, and for all their costs." To me the object I posted as my artwork is just a title but the label obtains a deeper description of why I think its valuable.






1 comment:

  1. You wrote so thoughtfully about this object- BUT I WISH WE COULD SEE IT! If you are having trouble posting images, please see me for a refresher on how to do it.

    ReplyDelete