Monday, October 26, 2015

Title: Nostalgic Stereo 
Artist: Unknown
Date: Unknown
Geography/Culture: American
Medium: Wood, Mesh, Copper, Metal.
Dimensions: 13"W x 12"H x 19"L
Source: Gift from Lissette Angeles (2012)




          In my apartment, there are not many things that you wouldn't find in a museum, unless you count the tv, which i'm pretty sure The Museum of Moving Images has that covered. SO while trying to do this assignment instead of looking for things that wouldn't be in a museum, I instead looked at things that make me happy about being home. My bed, my fridge, and my record player. I know it's kind of strange for an 18 year old to be happy about a record player, but music has always been an important part of my life. A couple years ago when my mother bought my the record player I was almost in tears. Let's be honest, that is one dope player. It has an aux cord, it plays; records, CD's cassettes, and it records vinyls or cassettes into CD's. I think music lovers, or people in general can enjoy this just because of the fact that it has something for everyone. It has the ability to give you the smooth sounds from the record playing, or the variety you get from turning on the radio, or the chance to play your favorite CD's or cassettes. That is why I think this player is one of the best things that happened to end up in my house.

             I chose this object because like I said before, music has been a huge influence on my life. It's always been something I go to when I need to relax and escape to another world. The record players name is Delilah. I named it that after my favorite song at the time. I thought the name stood for class and elegance and beauty and that's everything that I thought the name Delilah stood for. According to Dana, "Surely a function of a public art museum is the making of life more interesting joyful and wholesome." I think that by adding this record player into the museum people will get the same reaction that I had when I first saw Delilah. 




           






1 comment:

  1. Great to meet "Delilah"- and you do a nice job connecting your ideas to Dana;s regarding value/pleasure.

    ReplyDelete