Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Creative Project #2

          For my topic I decided to choose Latino Discrimination since it affects many Latinos throughout the U.S. By this I mean anything from being labeled, shamed, and/or underestimated, and all of this would be not including the problems immigrants face but still linking to the raising immigration status and laws because of discrimination and labeling.
          I chose this topic because not only is it something that's trending or constantly present because of politician Trump but also because it is something that is always on my mind and maybe even something that affects me. I take pride of where I am from but for some reason I always notice that i want to make it clear that I was born here in the U.S. This was something that bothered me because it felt as though I was trying to reject where my parents had come from and where I am also a part of. This made me wonder and think how many things i see in the world that made me unconsciously and against my will, believe that being from somewhere else other than America is wrong. And I realized that it was the way America portrays itself compared to other countries. Since all we ever see in the news is how Mexico has a drug dealer, Iraq, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and so and so are at war. Or also the fact that Muslims are considered to be terrorists or what not. America uses media to put everyone else down and therefore make America look amazing in comparison. The media is used in many ways that benefit the U.S such as shows that portray Mexicans or certain Latinos as being maids, gardeners or people that serve Americans and nothing more. Most Latinos or Mexicans are labeled as criminals, poorly educated, incapable of doing anything besides house work for Americans. There is obviously nothing wrong with being a house keeper or even a babysitter because it is an honest job, but for some reason this is seen as a poor low level job even though I believe no job is too small. Labeling goes as far as physical labeling such as Latinos being dark skinned and short, that can only speak Spanish or other Latino women as having voluptuous bodies, with accents, that we all like or know how to dance etc. when in fact Latinos can be as diverse as America with all of its different mix of cultures. This can be backed up by a fact taken from 11 Facts about Discrimination and Poverty in the Latino Community which states that, "according to a Pew research poll Latino people are the 2nd most discriminated against ethnic group after African-Americans”.
          I took these reasons and added them to my work of art using pen, paper and color pencil to create a simple yet concrete image of what America seems to be doing or attempting to do to Latin America. Which is mixing in together all of Latin America and labeling it as a bunch of stereotypes, that may if anything apply to only a smaller percentage of people within the whole Latin America group. Comments such as Trump's are what create this feeling of wanting to rid America of Latinos or immigrants or people considered to be outsiders, when in fact we all belong here. And what really is an American? At this point we are all a mix of something whether it be religion, race, or dare I say sexuality preferences.
        And as we progress into the future it is evident that social media is one of the many things that have started to take over, and therefore I would like my idea and drawing to be what helps stop the spread of Latino stereotyping and labeling. This way perhaps all of these same thoughts throughout the internet may join and cause a big change, and I hope people not only see how diminishing and oppressing this can be to someone that is thought to be only a certain way without having the opportunities to show that their being isn't based solely on their ethnicity or the actions of minorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment