Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Ultimate BP (#10)

Being born and growing up in NYC, you often forget how much free and low cost access we have to all forms of art. What I loved especially about this class is that I received constant reminders. Before going to the MoMA this past Wednesday for this particular assignment, I hadn't been in years (approximately 8 years). I marveled at so many of the pieces and already (mentally) scheduled another visit that I'd take my little cousins along for soon. The depth of my understanding, knowledgeability and enjoyment of art has also deepened in the past four months. It's like seeing art with newly heightened awareness, appreciation and, at the same time, discerning view. Much like psychology students who feel they can do psych evaluations after a semester of studies, I've left feeling like I can curate for a gallery already! But seriously, I do have an even greater interest in the visual art world. 

Roberto Matta is described as using "spontaneous, unplanned 'automatic' drawing." Automatism is defined as the avoidance of conscious intention in producing works of art, especially by using mechanical techniques or subconscious associations. This definitely came across in "The Vertigo of Eros." This falls within the realm of surrealist art.  

This two dimensional, oil on canvas painting by Chilean artist Roberto Matta consist of many geometric shapes and lines painted on top of organic forms. Those organic shapes appear to be rippling water, stone-like figures, simplified human-like figures and other figures that are less obvious and harder to recognize. In regards to value, there isn't a great deal of contrast. There are areas of yellow however most of those are shaded with black and dark hues. Besides the dark, black hues in the painting, there are the analogous warm tones of red and (mostly) yellow. Matta created implied texture of prisms with his placement of lines and geometric shapes. He gave depth to the art of work. He called this an "inscape" and projection of his psyche. This work is dream-like, abstract. It evokes a quiet confusion and energy. Due to the palate used, I'd assume most would say that this glimpse into his psyche reflects a nightmare but I get passion and animation. "Vertigo of Eros" has a lot of movement. I knew Eros was a Greek god associated with Aphrodite and whose roman counterpart is Cupid. Upon quick research, I found out that he was also a mischievous god whose and child of chaos. It explains the intensity I felt when immediately seeing this Matta painting.

Not only did I find an amazing piece but I learned about another style of art (automatism), within a well known art movement (surrealism), that I've never before even heard of.










    Artist: Roberto Matta
    Dimensions6′ 5″ x 8′ 3″
    Created1944
    MediaOil paint

No comments:

Post a Comment