Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Semana Santa

This painting I couldnt quite find the name for was my favorite from my museum trip with a friend. I went back to a museum that i went to years before that is in my neighborhood its called Hispanic Society of America. The place is easily missed and passed by because its within a small college called Boriqua college. It looks ordinary from the outside but once you enter its a whole different world. The museum is beautiful down to the architect and moldings on the walls, there is a elegant spiral staircase in the museum that you can imagine a girl with a long trained dress walking down it.
The painting is made of oil on canvas and in the foreground there are figures wearing chronicle hoods marching through a crowd with a shrine to Mother Mary in the background.
Two years ago this painting called out to most when i had writers block. My mentor took me here and said "Pick your favorite painting in here and lets make a story out of it."
Eventually we came across this painting that sits perched up high on a wall. Immediately i thought to myself maybe i can work with this. We later on researched the time period that the painting was indicating and found out that this was during the Holy week in Spain.
Though the history of this event is very detailed its interesting. These people dressed in chronicle hoods walked the roads between the towns of Seville and Bellavista. This event called Semana Santa "Holy week" was established during the late 1500s and early 1600s and so that is the time period my story is set in.
During this class my interest in museums have been brought out, before this class i have only went to museums just as class trips now im making plans to go to new ones and exploring more. This class was one of my favorites because we explored different kinds of artworks, some i didn't like but others i did and we got to choose our own way to show our inner creativeness with the 2nd to last blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment