Monday, December 14, 2015

Blog post 10


Jackson Pollock
One: Number 31,1950
Oil on enamel paint on canvas
8'10x 17' 5 5/8
MoMa Museum

  This art piece by Jackson Pollock was part of an exhibition in the MOMA Museum. The title of this painting is One: No. 31. In this series of abstract paintings  this was one of the largest pieces. A long with  in the exhibition there were 50 paintings,  drawings and prints in the collection.  In particular to the painting is featured more towards figurative, mythical, and primeval themes.
 The style of this painting  is abstract and the mediums in order to make this piece is oil on enamel paint, on canvas.  There are some patterns in a way, which is used with color, and as for texture it is very rough. The layers are done by globs of solid paint splattered across the canvas. The different hues of black, green and white are very prominent; in the sense  that if you look at each individual color in how the effect the canvas and you eye, it stands out in a pattern. The yellow background definitely adds to how you view the splatter paint, in the sense that it makes the hues stand out. There are no values. From an emotional response, I feel as this were static almost, or different nerves all jumping out at me in adrenaline. But eventually if you follow the lines to me there is a type of smoothness. Since the paint is not necessarily pressed upon the canvas that is where the rough texture stands.
 I had chosen  this particular piece from Jackson Pollock because I always look at refined art and portraits. But this time I really wanted to step out of my comfort zone and choose something that spoke to me emotionally from the artist. I have seen Jackson Pollock's art before online and I was instantly  fascinated because, I had found it extremely sophisticated for abstract art. It was very simple in its color composition, but it screamed in its technique, emotion.
 Visiting the MoMa for the first time at first I was not completely enthralled but eventually it came to from on me once I had entered the "Modern" section of paintings. Also the exhibition of Jackson Pollock, that was the whole reason why i decided to go to the MOMA.
  From what this coarse has taught me I definitely see art in a more professional view. Meaning I understand content, emotion, message, and the composition of an art piece. Art Society definitely exposed me to how in general the "art society" from the past and until now is like. It is extremely controversial, rebellious, liberal, and not so liberal. Art Society had inspired me to make a difference in the Art culture itself, like the Gorilla Girls. I want in all female artists to be known and shared more in exhibits. They deserve that privilege like anybody else in the art world.

No comments:

Post a Comment