Monday, September 21, 2015

blog post#2

 I decided to use this artwork I came across in the Whitney Museum of American Art untitled by Berenice Abbott. I was randomly searching through exhibits that are displayed for this museum and this photograph grabbed my attention to just admire the beauty that shows some pictures look better in black and white.The visual element that caught my eye in the photograph is value. Berenice Abbott took this picture and transferred it to gelatin silver print. The light coming from the chandelier to following the flow of the stairs and meeting up to a vase. Because of the lighting slightly faded in the middle to reflecting off to the floor emphasizes the furniture. My opinion for this photo I believe has perfect proportion. The foreground which is the chandelier, middle ground the motion of the stairs giving a calm mood meeting the vase, and the background I will consider to be the sculpture where it may be a bit hidden from the shadow of the light. The exhibition may be flat but the placement and lighting give it depth. My impression of this picture gives off a vintage elegance type of vibe. Looking at the picture it reminds of how moderation came to change its style throughout time. I may not have existed in 1938 but I do get the sense of how it would be to be in a classical atmosphere.  

1 comment:

  1. Joanna- you wrote so well about this work- describing the visual elements that are being used to make this artwork. Could you observe one or two more? (blogs are a minimum of 250 words) and there is more to write about this photograph!

    ReplyDelete