Monday, September 21, 2015

BP #3 "Economy Stainless"

This is a picture of a building that I pass several times a week, it is the last warehouse building left in a very gentrified street in Bushwick, near a record store I work out of occasionally. I decided to simply call it "Economy Stainless" after the name of the business that inhabits it. Every time I pass it I notice how distinctly different it is from the condominiums that surround it. The new buildings are pristine but cold, this building is simple but clearly has years of character.
The colors in this photograph are dark, the once blue paint on the sheeting is cracking and beginning to rust. The dumpster in front of the building is brown with rust from years and years of use, as are the iron gates in front of the building. The white sign which was once new and bright is now rusty and old.
The cloudy, gloomy weather in the space surrounding this building adds to the run down, sad feeling of this picture. The closed gate in the foreground and background, along with the trash piled in the front gives the building a somewhat negative, neglected feel to it.
I took this picture this past weekend on a day that was a little chilly and gave me the feeling that summer was finally over. I decided I wanted to photograph something that reflected my melancholy feelings. When I pass this building I can't help but wonder how much longer it'll still be there, every few weeks something changes in this neighborhood so drastically that I think an old building like this surrounded by new buildings can in fact be considered a work of art.


1 comment:

  1. Great example and "composition" of this accidental artwork- you write well about the color (you could have also written about shape and texture which are so prominent here).

    ReplyDelete