Monday, September 14, 2015

For Closure (outdoors the Bronx) by Gabriela Salazar


Here in the Bronx, I don’t particularly go outside and look for art. But when I was a sophomore in high school. I used to take the BX42 or BX40 bus to the West Farms Square/East Tremont Avenue subway station because I needed to catch the 2 train to get to school. As soon as I would get off the bus, the first thing I would of seen would be this sculpture of doors put into pyramid. Each door is made up of different colors and one of them even has a pattern on it that is different from the rest. My thought when I saw it was “why are there doors by the train station”. It wasn’t until this task that I took the time to learn of its backstory. The artist, Gabriela Salazar, a new york native, created this art piece because of the crisis that was happening in the housing sector. It makes more sense now because it’s not just a bunch of doors that have been put in front of the train station. It has been put there because of the struggle of living there, but West Farms is not the area in New York City with that problem. New York City may be known as the fashion capital of the world, but a massive part of the population lives in poverty. The doors represent safety for people with a home without a door there is really no security, which is how many people live. For Closure, is powerful to me now because I could look at it all of those doors and feel safe.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great piece to write about and thank you for including the extra information about why the artist made it. In regard to the "needs" for art that we talked about in class- which categories do you think this would fall into? You're missing that part of the assignment.

    ReplyDelete