Monday, November 9, 2015

creative project #1


I decided to draw a representation of how I view myself but also including a strangers perspective of me, from that I divided a face in two halves. The left of the face is an owl along with my current short hair on top. I believe I best represent an owl from my lack of interaction with others, I pay attention to detail, and I don't speak yet keep my ideas and imaginations in my head. My reason for adding the short hair is to show its still me but there will be occasional moments when someone will make it obvious and show a confused or glaring look if I'm a female or male from the way I dress and my decision on the haircut I chose. Glancing over to the right is my past self with long hair. Sure I did love my long thick hair but I ask, Why do women have to represent themselves in a way to show its acceptable? This is how a woman should behave, act, dress, and look. There is pressure on a female in today's society. We're neglected or told to step down from our strong propositions which is why I draw a closed mouth on the right of my face. I'm quickly judged on my appearance but can't they forget for one second and just know that I'm a regular person just like your sister, girlfriend, friend,  and peer. Going back to my past self on the right I also drew a thought bubble showing my interests and what kind of person I am. My piece relates to Stuart Hall,cultural theorist, sociologist believes stereotyping reduces, essentializes, naturalizes and fixes difference. My idea relates to Stuart Hall's idea, from the pre-conceived idea of how a woman should act and dress.  



1 comment:

  1. Joanna- I am dying to see the image! Where is it? See me before or after class- I'll review with you how to post images (not from phone!) The descriptive writing is very good- and has only made me more curious to see the image. I'm going to hold off on the grade until we get it resolved.

    ReplyDelete