Monday, November 30, 2015

You Are Beautiful, Just the Way You Are!~

Eating Disorders

What are Eating Disorders?

An eating disorder is an illness that causes serious disturbances to your everyday diet, such as eating extremely small amounts of food or severely overeating. A person with an eating disorder may have started out just eating smaller or larger amounts of food, but at some point, the urge to eat less or more spiraled out of control. Severe distress or concern about body weight or shape may also signal an eating disorder. Common eating disorders include anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge-eating Disorders. (http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/eating-disorders/index.shtml)
I chose this topic because nowadays people, especially young teens, are suffering from eating disorders. Researchers are finding that eating disorders are caused by a complex interaction of genetic, biological, behavioral, psychological, and social factors (second paragraph of this article). I believe that young teens shouldn't care what others say about them. I'm not trying to bring religion into this but someone I know told me that God gave us only one body and that we should appreciate what we have. I strongly believe that we are who we are. As cheesy as this sounds, there is only one of you. There is this YouTuber named Shane Dawson and he made this video called "Highschool Drama". It was a skit that invovled a Highschool girl named Amy who was dumped by her boyfriend because he told her she was fat and when they broke up, Amy wanted a hug and her jerk boyfriend said these harsh wordwords "fat girls dont get hugs". Shane Dawson uses comedy to get his point across which is you shouldn't hate yourself because of the way you look. Shane felt horrible about his body image but he was able to love himself because he uses his sense of humor to make videos which allows him to be himself, which is really inspirational.
Often teens get bullied for their appearance. It often happens in school because that's the place we're at. It is where most of our drama occurs. We get juged on how we look. This is personal for me because I've been judged myself. I was in middle school, and most of us are extremely vunerable since we are really young. But I was very fortunate to have people in my life that cared about me and made me realize that I shouldn't care what others say about me. Like my favorite YouTuber said, " If I don't even love myself then why should anybody else".  The video he made was really funny and sweet, and it helped me get through my issues.
For my monument I will do a drawing that depicts three young girls with different body sizes that are labeled skinny, regular, and over weight. I used three completely different contrasting colors with different words surrounding each girl to demonstrate how they are feeling. Then, I will place my drawing in the middle and cut out inspirational quotes and place them around the drawing. The title will be "You Are Beautiful, Just the Way You Are!~"
I think that my drawing would be displayed in the streets where everyone can see it. Like on phone booths, the train, in school hallways, etc. Maybe if people see this they'll feel better about themselves or at least they'll know that there is someone who cares about them because nothing makes me happier than to see a person smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment