Monday, November 2, 2015

Young Lords

Dear the whole group of

¡PRESENTE! The Young Lords in New York, 


                    I am writing to all of you because I can not pick just one of you, this exhibit was a team work between all and together it tells a wonderful story. Sadly I wasn't allowed to take pictures of the wonderful pictures you all displayed. Though I had a few questions about the exhibit, How did you all gather all of the personal stories about what happened in 1968? Where any of you connected to the families or residents of the neighborhood who lived through this time? 

The medium of the artworks that i saw varied between photography (which is my favorite coming from my own photography background) and newspaper misshaped onto a wall that all dated back to when this all happened. And there was a broom stick that I couldn't quite find which one did this but the broomstick had teeth instead of brushes at its end. I love how the raw emotion from the residents, they were all captured in there natural states. 

I can tell that the motivation and the reasoning was that you all wanted 1968 to be remembered for the struggle of the communities piled garbage that the sanitation department didn't come to pick up. The neighborhood was forgotten till they made a statement with the help of the young lords by dumping the garbage into the middle of the street and burned it all. They took action instead of waiting for the city to finally do something. Spanish Harlem was a dump but the people who lived it it wanted to make it a better place. Thank you for your time.

           Sincerely 
Karilis Cruz

1 comment:

  1. Very good observations Karilis- and it appears that you had a strong response to the show- but why so brief? The assignment is 400-600 words minimum...from the enthusiasm you express, I think you could have easily written more.

    ReplyDelete