Monday, November 2, 2015

Dear Rodriguez Calero,

Last week, I visited El Museo del Barrio and all I can say, is wow. Your art work is so different than the typical stuff you expect to see in museums. It's like the canvas' called to me, begging for my attention. They really pulled me in.

There are five questions that I have for you. First, in general, how did you decide to use the mediums that you chose? The use of paint and photographs on one canvas. that was so smart. It's like the paint is trying to cover what we don't want to see, while the eyes of the people in the photograph are still protruding. Much like "Christ of the Christians"(photo inserted on the top right). It's amazing how you captured so much emotion in just the eyes of this young man.

Second, how did you decide that you wanted to involve social justice in your artwork? Every piece of work, in my opinion, had to either do with injustice in the church system, or segregation of race and class in society.

When I walked into the gallery space, I was automatically drawn to one particular acrollage. "Renegade of God"(inserted on the left). I stood staring at this piece trying to decide why i liked it so much. When I read the caption, I understood why; "This painting is the antithesis of most of the works in this exhibition. It is an image of darkness, or breaking away from the spiritual, or reneging God. Its massive grey forms advances and explodes towards the viewer, evoking both terror and emptiness." At first glance, it seems weird, abstractly created. But when you sit in front of it for a little longer, you begin to see what you didn't before.  Just like the label says. You see a woman trying to disconnect herself from something she has no belief in. Her mind is distorted in make the decision to spilt. She is in all white which makes her seem sort of pure and innocent. At the same time the colors surrounding her make it seem like she is rebelling the expectations placed on her.

Question three, walking through El Museo, there were quotes of yours written on the walls. One quote in particular caught my attention. "I am defined by but not limited to being a Nuyorican, and I embrace all that is an extension of my heritage and beliefs. I gather inner strengths from the never-ending struggles that we deal with as people and as individuals." Do you feel that it is more important to stay true to your heritage and your beliefs or is it more important to search for what you need and want as an individual?

Question four, as a child were you forced to belief in the idea Catholicism thus being the reason why you made these pieces?

And finally question five,  in your piece "En el nombre de la madre" (inserted bottom right), were you trying to allude to the fact that a lot of people do bad things for the sake of their religion?


All in all, I would say that I was extremely impressed by your dedication and talent that was put into this exhibition.


Sincerly,
Stephanie.

P.S. I am now a huge fan.










1 comment:

  1. Wonderful observations and questions Stephanie! And you did such a great job forming them into a letter.
    YAY!

    ReplyDelete