Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Creative Project #1

This mini photo collage is called "Fits Stereotype?".  I given the piece this name because of the stereotype that I feel society sees me as. The question mark is there because it's not true and I want people to think about what they are actually going to see before the collage is shown to them. For the image I used myself, my clothes, my phone, and Photoshop (nothing in the collage has been altered in size). For the image on the left side I turned myself into what today's society feel is a thug or a black male how is just up to no good. How I choose to take the picture is how I feel people who judge me based of that stereotype everyday. I made the image on the left side completely black, and made the other one white because that is the way people make their judgments (black & white). They base it off of prior knowledge (history, past situations, etc.). I feel that people do this because it's either easier for them to just believe that people of that race act/live this way or they're racist. the image on the far left side is of me, a person who is goofy, smart, complex, and educated. I am not a thug, I prove people wrong everyday by showing them that. It feels good to make the people who look down upon you feel stupid, when they realize that you don't fit the moled that they wanted to believe that you were apart of. I made the images on the left and right white because I wanted to make silhouettes of my goofy side. I feel that stereotypes will always exist in society because we have a pyramid of hierarchy and we won't let go of our preconceived ideas on other races of people.

1 comment:

  1. As we spoke about in class, this photo collage came out great! (Excellent digital skills!) You obviously thought carefully about how our class discussion related- by examining how stereotypes get formed through images and are challenged by new images. Great work!

    ReplyDelete