Monday, November 2, 2015

Essay #2




Dear Rodriguez,

      Last Wednesday from our Art and society class I visited "El Museo del Barrio museum". I got a chance to see your incredible works of arts in the museum. I like yours all work of arts and  it is very unique. One particular work of arts that I like the most was "Cruz de Loisaida". It grabbed my attention  due to colors, technique and the message it gives.

At first, when I look at your work of arts  I did not get the theme of acrollage then after I read the content, it blew me away. Therefore, I have some question to learn more about your acrollage. I see a person with the long neck with a silver color on the cross. His/ her body has an abstract rectangular shape and S/he is injecting a drug. The red splatters of paint remind me of blood. In the middle of the canvas, I see a logo or a stamp which I'm not sure about it and it made me wonder what is that mean and what is that represented in this work of arts? In my opinion  your idea of keeping the identity unclear which refers crucifixion could happen to anyone. And the question is why did you depict the person with drugs? This work of art relates to the religion. On the other hand, it was showing the image of hand injecting a drug. Thus, it made me curious to know what was the reason behind putting together drug and crucified sign? Does it represent something else? Because nowadays  people believe more in science than the God.  The title of your work of arts is "Cruz de Loisaida" which means "Cross of Loisaida" and Loisaida is the term for the lower East side of New York, a mainly Puerto Rican and Dominican area. A drug is the most dangerous thing in the world, kills human and it is the worst thing to do in life. Regarding your opinion, why did you choose the title "Cruz de Loisaida" aren't people around the world also suffering from the drug addiction and aren't they also in a drug war?

It was honored to see your solo work of art exhibition and they are really amazing and have a unique style. I like the way you convey the positive messages to the people about the drug. At last, I apologize for any miss interpret or personal questions.Thank you for the time.

                                                                                                                           sincerely
                                                                                                                         Lakpa Tamang



1 comment:

  1. These are good questions about the content of this work Lakpa- and your questions reflect the thought you gave to this piece. Great!

    ReplyDelete