Monday, November 9, 2015

Creativity Project #1


12231125_10204496948214297_1894816954_n.jpg
This collage, sums up the basic and essential elements of my life right now. Not only does it symbolize me, but it created me. The pictures above also motivated me to search and tap my full potential in being a talented, modest, human being.  The ideas that make me, is what I like to do. For instance, the idea of creating and performing music is a big factor of who I am in my life. Also, the idea-no; the instinct of spending time with my family and the reason for who I am today. The only object in the college is purposely my piano. That is no doubt the most prized and important object I have in my possession. In today’s society, I feel that I break a whole bunch of a stereotypes and go beyond the limitations of what an Asian male like myself is suppose to be doing. One of the stereotypes that I do break is for a Filipino and/or Asian is being very conservative. For me, it is the complete opposite; a bunch of my friends observed and seen that I’ve been pretty out and easy going to communicate with. I’m less timid than what my physical image may perceive. An important stereotype that I actually embrace is my academic level. Just like in class last Wednesday, we saw an Asian kid with an A+ paper in his hand. Pretty stereotypical, except that would not be me. I am a B/A- student that actually does struggle with academics in many areas while juggling a music career. I’d rather be that than be a one dimensional person. My parents came to this country for my brother and I to create our own special image and to live life the way we want. Not to be another product of our society’s environment. The artistic decisions I made was why the pictures are in certain areas. Having a selfie on the left hand side purposely. It is on the left side because I write with my left hand and I chose that picture because it is the most recent nice picture of myself. The picture on the top left defies that I love to travel. That was in Disney World two years ago, February 2014. The second picture is my family. The third and fourth is some of my several shots of performing. The top two iconic, while I saw the bottom two due to the best for lasts. I chose those pictures because those were the best ones that symbolized who I am at this point of my life. I want the viewer to see what I love to do and to see versatility in me being outgoing, my interest in fashion, my family, and my passion for music. My image challenge stereotype in relation to what Stuart Hall says my pictures are much more unexpected and eccentric to what is expected for an Asian male to present.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent work Neil- You did such a good job explaining aspects of your self in the images and the writing. Very detailed and thoughtful decisions on which images you used and where you placed them. Great!

    ReplyDelete