Monday, November 9, 2015

Creative Project #1




        For this creative project, I decided to draw to represent myself. Since, I am a student I chose pencil to represent myself. Pencil helps me to write/draw my thoughts and  express my feelings. Same as, I chose earphone because I love to listen to music because it helps me to feel calm and relax. The artistic decision that I chose to make, a broken pencil and heavily tangled earphone.The reason I chose a broken pencil because I think it represents me as a person who is not good at writing. In addition, I chose heavily tangled earphone because it represents my feelings and emotion about how difficulties, confusion, and pressure that I am having when I am weak in English.  I want viewers to see that what situation that I am going through. It's been always hard for me to settle down in new places because everything changes such as culture, community, friends, and lifestyle etc.. I think this is not only my problem, I guess every international student has the same problem as mine. However, Some international students who are lucky enough to receive a good quality of education back in their country, they don't have to face difficulties same as the student who did not get a good education. Therefore, while I was making this drawing I felt so vulnerable to people who are new to this country.There are some people out there, who rush to snap judgment on people based on their color, religion, appearance, skills, and culture etc. It relates to Stuart Hall's idea, that how people stereotype of people based on where they are  from.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for making this beautiful artwork Lakpa- you did a wonderful job of thinking about creating a symbolic image of your complex sense of self. The drawing is very strong and represents your ideas very well. Wonderful to see this.

    ReplyDelete