Monday, November 9, 2015

Creativity Project #1


For this project I choose to create a collage using the works of art i created in high school art class. Reason being because a part of me is made up of my love for art and because my works of art big or small contain a fragment or big piece of me, in one work of art in particular was made from the emotions I had towards the subject of my artwork which is my dog,Hershey. At the time he lived with my grandmother in Mexico and i saw him for maybe a month or so a year. And not only do i love most animals but I also love nature(except insects,arachnids or snakes) so i decided to incorporate them in the art piece i made since it reminded me of Mexico in a personal way. Shortly after he was given away for certain reasons and in a sense the feeling i had to make it dedicated to him was right, which is why i feel more especially attached to the artwork. My other works of art also had emotions and hard work but were made in a totally different perspective than the one of my dog. Such as the collage i titled as “fear” includes what i believe in a sense or what i imagine to be in the dark, both maybe figuratively and literally. I decided to show what i feel, which i believe is the side to me no one gets to see and in the center of everything is what everybody perceives,which the fact that it’s in black and white helps show that that’s not the full version of me and that art brings out some of my inner colors that paints my world and helps create who i am. Stuart Hall talks about stereotypes and how images can show, spread and in a way immortalize the ideas. My collage doesn’t use the place I'm from as a way to show who i am,because although my parents are from Mexico, meaning i am Mexican-American,and am not ashamed of it,i decide to give other things the spotlight to show who i am and what makes me. Because I am more than just a place.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful Katia- you have repurposed your artworks to make a multi-meaning image of your current self. Very good work- and good point in mentioning how this new image is "unexpected" and more complex than stereotypical images.

    ReplyDelete