Monday, November 9, 2015

This is my self portrait.
To be able to explain myself, I have to first show all the things that make me up.
 My friends, my family, and my art form. 
On the top left, is a picture of my and my friends on twin day at school. We all wore white shirts and Adidas pants and converse in an awful attempt at being quintuplets. 
At the top right, is a family picture that we took at Daytona beach. 
(My family has never taken an entire group shot, so this was kind of a big deal for us.)
The two middle pictures, show my love for theater and playwriting. On the left, is a picture of the sign posted on the door of the room we used when I workshopped my first full length play. On the right side is a picture of me and some friends going to see Les Miserables in broadway. 
On the bottom left is a picture of my last performance with my Bass Clarinet. And last but not least at the bottom right, is a picture of me and my boyfriend on picture day our senior year in high school.  
As my medium, I chose to use pictures because I can't draw and you can get way more detail out of me through photography. By combining these six pictures, I showed the most important things that make me up. I believe that the people you surround yourself with and the things you decide to spend your time doing are what make you, you. By using these pictures I'm able to show you what I spend my time doing and with whom. To me I feel that I don't live up to any stereotypes. As a Dominican and Puerto Rican young woman living in the projects in Bed Stuy, I'm expected to be pregnant on my second kid, being in the street getting into trouble. Instead I spend my time going to school, seeing shows, writing, and spending time with the important people in my life.
Hopefully when people look at the collage, they see someone who cares about people and how expression helped them find something that they love.



1 comment:

  1. Stephanie- you did an excellent job of thinking about images that are counter to stereotypes- and ones that show the important aspects of "YOU". Nice arrangement- I like how you made all these aspects in equal size too- showing they are equally important.

    ReplyDelete