Monday, November 2, 2015

El Museo del Barrio Essay



Dear Rodriguez Calero,
I recently visited El Museo del Barrio, with my art class and was captivated by all of the art pieces in your exhibition. Classmate of mine told me that some of your art was modern art. All of which I felt were relatable but going back toward the entrance of your exhibition, I saw this painting (pictured above), Preternatural, 2008. What exactly does the title, Preternatural mean? One thing that threw me for a loop was the label; under the title of the work it read “Acrollage on canvas”.  What is that exactly? Is it art and collage? The art piece itself was something I have never seen. It is very unique and like the rest of your pieces modern. The piece features both cool colors and warm. The eyes are very modern and I say the nose is cut from renaissance art, the mouth and torso has been painted differently to throw people off. What made you decide to this? Are the eyes and the rest of the body from the same reference just from different times? I find the painting even more interesting as write this letter to you. There is also overlapping present in the painting, there is a layer of an article present that you painted beneath the painting. I noticed when I looked closer at the head (the lightest part within the peacock feathers). Why did you place peacock feathers around the person? Does it have to do with the title Preternatural? The lower body I find interesting, because it has a very different texture from the torso. It is like the texture disappears but the pattern is still present. I noticed a quote of yours that was placed on the wall of your exhibition that could be missed if visitors are only focused on what meets the eye on ground level.  Your quote read as follows, “My questioning or reinterpretation of bible stories define the influence of Catholicism, in my work. I take traditions from the past and present a more modern, symbolic image, which is approachable and identifiable for a new generation”. This sums up what I saw in your amazing paintings. But why does the bible have such an influence on your work? Your work has definitely a modern vibe that for me is different because when it comes to art history, it’s always about the past (1400- late 1800). You don’t really get to learn about today’s art.
Your fan,        
Anthony Gomez

1 comment:

  1. Very good questions that show how closely you looked at the work, and great that you paid attention to the quotes of hers on the wall for some additional insights.

    ReplyDelete